Stories, ideas and tips to help women build fabulous businesses and to help you build your best business.

Friday, March 21, 2008

Tupperware

For the life of me I can't understand why Tupperware don't sell their stuff on the internet.

50 years ago, 20 years ago, even 10 years ago it was probably fun to go to a Tupperware party and stock up on plastic containers. But surely today most people just want to buy the wretched stuff with one click of a button.

The other day I tried to order some Tupperware:

I phoned the Head Office and asked how I could buy some tupperware without going to, or hosting, a party. The friendly receptionist suggested that I call the Regional Office and added that she spent much of her day fielding calls from potential customers wanting to buy on-line......

The Regional Office said they would contact my local distributor.

My local distributor called me 2 days later and gave me her address so that I could send her my address so that she could then send me a form to complete and send back to her. (Yes I was completely stumped by that too).

I later found out that the distibutor makes just one trip a week to the warehouse to collect orders and then posts them out in the ordinary mail. So had I ordered the tupperware from her it would have taken roughly two to three weeks for me to receive the order whereas it takes two or three days to get a book from Amazon.

In 1950 when Brownie Wise came up with the idea of selling Tupperware at parties it was very forward thinking. Because the Tupperware concept was so new people didn't understand how the Tupperware seal worked - demonstrating it was key to selling it.

58 years later plastic boxes with lids are ubiquitous.

Tupperware does make the best stuff, but what's the point in making the best stuff if you don't make it easy for your customers to buy it?

No comments: